Check out the following TIPS below that help me connect with the teens in my life both personally and professionally....
- Determine the best ways to COMMUNICATE with them during the day, evenings and on weekends. Some teens do all communication via text or social media and only during class time (haahaa, that's meant to be funny). Decide the options and what works for you and what doesn't.
- Ask them what they want for meals and snacks. Encourage them to grocery shop with you and/or even prepare meals together. Letting them know you remember their favorites is MEANINGFUL.
- Discuss WHEN you can 'hang out' together whether it's an activity, conversation or events. Teens like being able to have choices around THEIR time and scheduling.
- Acknowledge THEIR experience whether you agree with it or not / like it or not. Most of us just want to be HEARD and acknowledging this as well as validating their feelings goes a long way in connecting with your teen.
- Do you smile or light up when they come into a room?
- Are they fully aware of the schedule and what's happening that day/week?
- How do you validate their opinion or experiences?
Teenagers want and need CONNECTION, LOVE, ATTENTION, CARE + COMPASSION. They can seem like they don't but they do, trust me.
If you want to know more about this topic or have a teen at home that you are having challenges with, please contact me and we can have a chat on how to best navigate through it together.