We've provided 4 MAJOR GIFT-GIVING IDEAS that can really preserve the positive holiday spirit and make it a time of year you actually look forward to and enjoy rather than curse or get stressed about. Experience gifts are becoming popular as people are realizing the impact of 'too much stuff' as well as the waste that comes from wrapping paper and plastic packaging but that's not all that's gaining traction, these ideas we've come up with below are sure to please even the worst hum-bugs this Christmas season!
#1.) SHARE A GIFT
- Sharing a gift as a 'family, group, staff or team' can help alleviate waste, time and energy by creating an 'experience' that everyone can learn or enjoy such as an ice-skating event, movie, holiday outing or winter activity.
- Organizing group experiences also holds the opportunity for bonding time and team building that makes for a more positive outcome overall.
#2.) MAKE A GIFT
- There are plenty of baked goods and crafts ideas you can actually make OR find 'home-made gifts' that can be found at schools, churches and recreation centers through out the month of December.
- Finding creative ways to 'help someone' in terms of a gift is ideal such as offers, coupons or tickets for helpful activities/chores.
#3.) BUY SECOND-HAND GIFTS
- Shop at your local thrift store or garage sale in the months prior to the Christmas season. There are many items that are desirable and affordable that are perfect for the holiday season OR through out the year.
- Games that include bringing something in your household you no longer want and turn it into a fun game of chance by wrapping it and having members choose their 'own' gift.
#4.) SPREAD THE GIFT-GIVING
- Try using the 'Secret Santa' approach so everyone receives a special gift instead of a bunch of random gifts that may not have as much meaning.
- There are also certain guidelines that can be agreed upon such as 'gifts under $10 only' or buy gifts for the 'kids only' and not for the adults.
We all have the power to make informed, quality and positive choices that not only impact ourselves but our family, friends and community. Let the GIFT-GIVING be more about giving than the hidden obligation of providing a gift.
* Learn more about Julie Romanowski - Mother, Coach, Leader, Educator, Author, Speaker & founder of Miss Behaviour: parenting coach & consultant services.